2014 A Classical Christmas - Queensland Medical Orchestra
Queensland Medical Orchestra Director - Tom Dickson
Join the Queensland Medical Orchestra and Choir for another celebration of the holiday season with A Classical Christmas. This year's concert will be held on Sunday the 14th of December at 2pm in the Old Museum Building. The afternoon is sure to be a festive event full of holiday cheer, featuring Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite and glorious carols for the whole family to enjoy.
Tickets available from: http://www.trybooking.com/GICG The QMO and QMC concerts regularly sell out so grab your tickets quick, before they're all gone.
When: Sunday 14th December 2pm
Where: Old Museum Building (460 Gregory Terrace, Fortitude Valley)
Cost: $30 General Admission, $25 Concession (Aged Pension), $15 Children under 12 and Groups of 10 $250.
UQMS Appointed Positions 2015
2015 UQMS President Elect - Zachary Tan
Hey guys, the UQMS team for 2015 are working hard already to plan for next year, and are opening applications for its appointed UQMS roles and positions next week.
As we have reviewed the structure of the UQMS, a number of new roles have been created. Further to this, as our incoming first years start particularly late in 2015, a number of roles that require work early in the year and are normally elected at the OGM have been included in this application process.
The full list of positions available for appointment are as follows:
- Reporting to the President (email@example.com):
- Ipswich Campus Officer
- ANZAC Day Ceremony Convenor
- Academic Vice-President (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Clinical School Representatives (one per clinical school)
- Chair of the International Subcommittee
- Social Vice-President (email@example.com):
- MedCamp Convenors (up to six, applications open now - http://bit.ly/1t0BKtB)
- Sports Day Convenors (up to six)
- May Ball Convenors (previously elected at the OGM)
- Med Revue Convenors (previously elected at the OGM)
- Education Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Chair of the UQ Surgical Interest Group
- International and Community Health Education Director (formerly known as the UNMDG Project Convenor)
- Liaison and Communications Officer (email@example.com):
- INK Publication Editors (previously elected at the OGM)
- Treasurer (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Merchandise Officer
- Finance Committee Members (up to three)
- Community Officer (email@example.com):
- Sports Officer
- Coffeehouse I Convenor
Position descriptions for all the roles will be available by 24/11/14. The overall timeline for these appointed positions is as follows:
- 16/11/14 - 30/11/14 Applications for MedCamp Convenors open
- Applications reviewed and positions appointed by 3/12/14
- 24/11/14 - 7/12/14 Applications for all other positions open
- Applications reviewed and positions appointed by 10/12/14
Please note as well that applications for MedCamp Convenors are open now! MedCamp is the premier orientation event of the UQMS calendar. Catered specifically to first years, it is a weekend away for all first years to integrate into the medical school community. MedCamp for 2015 has been set for the 6th – 8th February at the Ewen Maddock Dam. More details on MedCamp and how to apply are here: http://bit.ly/1t0BKtB
If you have any questions on any of the above roles, please feel free to contact the Management Committee member responsible (N.B. position descriptions will be available by 24/11/14).
All the best for your applications - we’re particularly keen to see more people be involved with the UQMS next year, and we would love to see your hand up.
Movember is coming to UQMS!
Message to Incoming First Years
2015 UQMS President Elect - Zachary Tan
Dear incoming first years, congratulations on being accepted to the University of Queensland Medicine Class of 2018 - we can’t wait to meet you all. You guys here are very lucky to be part of the first class of the new MD program, which we know is going to be a great program. For everyone coming from abroad, welcome to Australia, and we hope you enjoy your time here!
We want to make sure as well that everyone can hit the ground running come day 1, and we’ve put together a couple of resources which we hope are useful. Most of them come from the UQMS, which is the student body for the medical students at UQ. We’ll be there on your first day of orientation, so please make sure to come come and say hi.
- UQ MBBS/MD Academic Calendar 2015: http://bit.ly/UQMD2015Calendar
- UQMS: The University of Queensland Medical Society is the study body for the 2000 medical students at UQ. We run a huge number of academic, social, community and charity projects and we can’t wait to meet you all at day 1. For more information on the UQMS, visit www.uqms.org.
- Social: The UQMS runs a number of different social media pages with different groups of medical students. Make sure to like the UQMS page at: http://bit.ly/UQMSPage for official posts and updates.
The Class of 2018 page is here: http://bit.ly/UQMS2018
Our main discussion group is over at http://bit.ly/UQMSGroup which has medical students from all four years of our UQ medical program as well as our junior doctor colleagues. If you have any questions, the main UQMS page is a great place to start for students from other classes to answer your questions.
- UQMS Marketplace: The UQMS Marketplace is the main buy and sell forum for textbooks, accommodation, and the like. Make sure to have a look in! http://bit.ly/UQMSMarketplace
- International Buddy Program: For those coming from abroad and have questions about Australia, the UQMS runs a Pre-departure International Buddies Mentoring System: http://bit.ly/UQMSInternationalBuddies We’ll try to match you with medical students currently here at UQ and try and answer your questions, so your move to Australia is as smooth as possible.
- Introduction to Year 1 Guide: We’re currently working on a guide for everyone here coming into Year 1 which we hope will answer all your main questions about medicine at UQ. We’ll make sure to have over the next few months, and we’ll be sharing it here.
Congratulations again everyone on coming to UQ for medicine for 2018. We know it’ll be a great time, and we can’t wait to meet you. If you have any questions, please let the UQMS team know here or at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll try and get back to you quickly.
UQMS President Elect 2015
Grad Ball 2014
Join us for an evening of Fire and Ice.
As we approach the final days of our journey in medical school, we entice you to come together one last time for a formal evening of fine dining, beverages and extravagant entertainment.
We hope to see you all for one last night of fun, flames and frozen festivities!
Where: Great Hall, Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre
When: Friday 13 December, 7pm Pre-Dinner Drinks; Ball 7:30-Midnight Followed by Afterparty
Cost: Graduates - TBA, Non-Graduates - TBA
Dress: Black Tie
Ashintosh Elective Grants
About the Grants
< The medical elective grant program is a new initiative of the Ashintosh Foundation and one which serves to give back to the medical student community which so strongly supports it by allowing select students to enrich another community through a medical project. Up to three grants of $1500 are available per year for health-related projects conducted on university elective placements. Examples of projects include supply of medical aid, conducting a research study or creating an educational program to assist healthcare in the region. Grants will be offered for a single project to be undertaken by an individual or group of applicants within the calendar year. New applications are necessary for expanding or continuing projects. Funding may be allocated to travel and administrative expenses in addition to the proposed project.
Priority areas for the foundation include projects conducted in Aboriginal, Torres Strait Island or developing world communities. This does not preclude other applications as innovative project ideas are welcome and encouraged.
Applicants must be enrolled in the University of Queensland MBBS or MD program when applying and undertaking their elective and project. Applicants must also be current members of the University of Queensland Medical Society.
Originality of the project
Scientific / educational / clinical merit
Potential for success
Applications extended: final round due 11.59pm October 11.
UQMS Blue Week is coming to your PBL!
Hope to see you all on board!
- Notice of UQMS AGM 2014
- Commonwealth Medical Internships
- Keg III 2014
- Nominate for UQMS Management Committee, Ashintosh Committee, and Graduation Ball Convenors
- UQMS Clinical Teaching Awards 2014
- E.S. Meyers Memorial Lecture 2014 | Dr Mark Loane AM | www.esmeyers.org
- AMSA Council III guest applications
- UQMS FIFA World Cup 2014
- Seeking new I.T. Officer!
- Clinical Schools Information Evening 2014