Movember is coming to UQMS!
Message to Incoming First Years
2015 UQMS President Elect - Zachary Tan
Dear incoming first years, congratulations on being accepted to the University of Queensland Medicine Class of 2018 - we can’t wait to meet you all. You guys here are very lucky to be part of the first class of the new MD program, which we know is going to be a great program. For everyone coming from abroad, welcome to Australia, and we hope you enjoy your time here!
We want to make sure as well that everyone can hit the ground running come day 1, and we’ve put together a couple of resources which we hope are useful. Most of them come from the UQMS, which is the student body for the medical students at UQ. We’ll be there on your first day of orientation, so please make sure to come come and say hi.
- UQ MBBS/MD Academic Calendar 2015: http://bit.ly/UQMD2015Calendar
- UQMS: The University of Queensland Medical Society is the study body for the 2000 medical students at UQ. We run a huge number of academic, social, community and charity projects and we can’t wait to meet you all at day 1. For more information on the UQMS, visit www.uqms.org.
- Social: The UQMS runs a number of different social media pages with different groups of medical students. Make sure to like the UQMS page at: http://bit.ly/UQMSPage for official posts and updates.
The Class of 2018 page is here: http://bit.ly/UQMS2018
Our main discussion group is over at http://bit.ly/UQMSGroup which has medical students from all four years of our UQ medical program as well as our junior doctor colleagues. If you have any questions, the main UQMS page is a great place to start for students from other classes to answer your questions.
- UQMS Marketplace: The UQMS Marketplace is the main buy and sell forum for textbooks, accommodation, and the like. Make sure to have a look in! http://bit.ly/UQMSMarketplace
- International Buddy Program: For those coming from abroad and have questions about Australia, the UQMS runs a Pre-departure International Buddies Mentoring System: http://bit.ly/UQMSInternationalBuddies We’ll try to match you with medical students currently here at UQ and try and answer your questions, so your move to Australia is as smooth as possible.
- Introduction to Year 1 Guide: We’re currently working on a guide for everyone here coming into Year 1 which we hope will answer all your main questions about medicine at UQ. We’ll make sure to have over the next few months, and we’ll be sharing it here.
Congratulations again everyone on coming to UQ for medicine for 2018. We know it’ll be a great time, and we can’t wait to meet you. If you have any questions, please let the UQMS team know here or at email@example.com and we’ll try and get back to you quickly.
UQMS President Elect 2015
Grad Ball 2014
Join us for an evening of Fire and Ice.
As we approach the final days of our journey in medical school, we entice you to come together one last time for a formal evening of fine dining, beverages and extravagant entertainment.
We hope to see you all for one last night of fun, flames and frozen festivities!
Where: Great Hall, Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre
When: Friday 13 December, 7pm Pre-Dinner Drinks; Ball 7:30-Midnight Followed by Afterparty
Cost: Graduates - TBA, Non-Graduates - TBA
Dress: Black Tie
Ashintosh Elective Grants
About the Grants
< The medical elective grant program is a new initiative of the Ashintosh Foundation and one which serves to give back to the medical student community which so strongly supports it by allowing select students to enrich another community through a medical project. Up to three grants of $1500 are available per year for health-related projects conducted on university elective placements. Examples of projects include supply of medical aid, conducting a research study or creating an educational program to assist healthcare in the region. Grants will be offered for a single project to be undertaken by an individual or group of applicants within the calendar year. New applications are necessary for expanding or continuing projects. Funding may be allocated to travel and administrative expenses in addition to the proposed project.
Priority areas for the foundation include projects conducted in Aboriginal, Torres Strait Island or developing world communities. This does not preclude other applications as innovative project ideas are welcome and encouraged.
Applicants must be enrolled in the University of Queensland MBBS or MD program when applying and undertaking their elective and project. Applicants must also be current members of the University of Queensland Medical Society.
Originality of the project
Scientific / educational / clinical merit
Potential for success
Applications extended: final round due 11.59pm October 11.
UQMS Blue Week is coming to your PBL!
Hope to see you all on board!
Notice of UQMS AGM 2014
The Annual General Meeting of the UQMS in 2014 will be held as follows:
Date: Tuesday October 14th
Time: 6.30pm AEST (Brisbane time)
Location: Level 3 of the Health Sciences Building, RBWH.
This meeting incorporates the election of the UQMS Management Committee, and UQMS Convenor Positions: the Ashintosh Committee Members, and Graduation Ball Convenors for 2015. Voting is now open.
Commonwealth Medical Internships
Commonwealth Medical Internships are now open, and close October 3rd
Click here for further information.
- Keg III 2014
- Nominate for UQMS Management Committee, Ashintosh Committee, and Graduation Ball Convenors
- UQMS Clinical Teaching Awards 2014
- E.S. Meyers Memorial Lecture 2014 | Dr Mark Loane AM | www.esmeyers.org
- AMSA Council III guest applications
- UQMS FIFA World Cup 2014
- Seeking new I.T. Officer!
- Clinical Schools Information Evening 2014
- QMO Virtuosis 2014
- Once Upon A Time...